Choosing the right garage door is a major purchase that can add security, appeal, and value to your home. There are a lot of factors to consider when selecting the right one for you. You'll need to choose the what material and mechanism fits your budget and style. While you're at it, don't forget about additional security and safety features.
Your garage door needs to be durable enough to hold up to the elements and years of use while staying stylish enough to fit in with the look of your home. Material and maintenance are both big factors here.
- Wood - While you may be tempted by the elegance of a wooden door, keep in mind that it will require regular maintenance like painting and varnishing.
- Steel - Another popular, extremely durable option is a steel door. However, it's heavy and not suitable for every garage.
- Vinyl - Live in a wet area? Vinyl may be a good choice. It can mimic the look of other materials and holds up well to humidity.
- Aluminum - If you live in a warm climate and want a low-maintenance door, aluminum is a good choice.
There are a wide variety of different styles of garage doors out there. The most practical, generally speaking, is a door with an overhead mechanism. These make the best use of the space in your garage. They can be easily fitted with an automatic garage door opener.
At Overhead Door of Wilmington, we offer three different styles of garage door openers. All of them have their specific advantages:
- Screw-drive Systems - These require the least maintenance and offer the most speed and power. This works well with garage doors made of heavy materials.
- Belt Systems - Belts really shine when it comes to noise levels: they're the quietest and smoothest of the three.
- Chain Systems - These systems are a good fit for people looking for good value. They combine reliability with an affordable price point.
This brings us to another concern: how secure is your door? The garage is one of the weak points in your home security, so you want a locking/unlocking method that will keep your house safe while fitting into your budget.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- Do you need wi-fi capability and smartphone control?
- Would you prefer a low-tech door that operates with a lock and key?
- Does your door mechanism have a battery backup, allowing it to open during power outages?
- Would you like the additional security of having a number code keypad?
- Do you want integrated floodlights?
- Does the door have safety sensors that will stop it closing if it senses an object, person, or animal standing under it?
Keep in mind that many of these features will raise the price of the door. More complex systems will also require regular or semi-regular maintenance, so factor that into your budget.
Are You Ready For the Next Step?
Now that you've learned something about the different kinds of garage doors available, you may be ready to make your final choice. Contact us as Overhead Door of Wilmington today and one of our experienced associates will discuss your options. You can call us or stop by our website for a free, no-hassle estimate.